Wednesday, June 2, 2010

You're Free Little Guy......





A couple of months ago, Jenny gave me a call that someone had given her a baby squirrel and that she didn't want it. I guess she knew I would take it, because I had to bottle feed one last year too. So, Sparky has been part of our family for a little while. I had to bottle feed him for several weeks, and he stayed in our bathroom in a cage, until he was active enough to get out of the cage and plus, to be honest squirrels are just messy little creatures. I took all I could with Sparky in my bathroom, so we moved him out in the garage until we could come up with another solution as to where we could put him until he was ready to be released. So he took up residence in my garage and called a stroller I had hanging up on the wall home. Yes, he slept in this stroller and when you went out there and called him, he would peek his head out of the top of the stroller. And, no this stroller is not usable anymore. He was very friendly and tame, and would love to crawl around on you and "fight" with your hand. He was definitely a cutie, but as time went on I was starting to miss my garage and longed for it to be cleaned out. Oh, did I mention that squirrels are not very tidy? So I started feeling sorry for him, because he knew nothing of the outside world, and me and the boys got Sparky and took him outside. At first he jumped off in my shrubs, but then came right back to me and jumped on my shoulder, but then it was like he realized he was free and took off running for a little patch of woods by our house and started playing in the trees. It was funny, because this even looked like new territory to him, because he actually fell out of the tree, but caught himself on another limb. So that is where we left him. A couple of hours later it started thundering and yes, I went outside and started to call him to see if he would come back to me. And yes, my thoughts were to put him back in the house until the storm was over, but no Sparky. I know, pathetic, right? So, anyways, this was my successful story of mothering a squirrel and returning it back to the wild.

1 comment:

  1. You are such a good mom, Autumn (even to squirrels)! I'm sure your boys loved having a pet squirrel around the house!

    ReplyDelete